Event planning checklist

Whether you're trying an event for the first time or you simply want a reminder of key considerations, we're here to help! Scan through our checklist in the early stages of planning your event.

Are you insured?

  • Before embarking on any type of event, ensure that your association has public liability insurance cover in place (to a value of £10 million).

  • Check your policy to see if organisation-owned items need to be named for all-risks cover to apply.

  • Any third-party suppliers will need to have their own public liability insurance cover in place. Your local authority will be able to tell you what level of public liability insurance they need to have. They must provide proof of this before the event.

  • Contact your insurance provider for full details.

 Safety for child attendees

  • Bear in mind the safety and wellbeing of children and vulnerable adults when risk assessing your event. 

  • Consider the need for DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checks for organisation committee members and/or other volunteers if holding an event children are attending.

  • For more information in England and Wales go to DBS. For Northern Ireland, visit AccessNI.

Do you need a licence?

  • Certain events will always require a licence, so check with your local authority (England) when planning your event.

  • Temporary Event Notice (TEN) - (England and Wales) for events with regulated entertainment (sport/music etc.), late-night refreshments or the supply of alcohol.

  • A premises licence (England and Wales) may be needed if your event features regulated entertainment, late night refreshments or the supply of alcohol where there are more than 499 attendees.

  • Occasional licence (Northern Ireland) for the sale of alcohol at an event being held in unlicensed premises.

  • Entertainment licence (Northern Ireland) for any venue used regularly for entertainment.

  • Fireworks licence (Northern Ireland) for any outdoor event featuring fireworks.

  • Performing Rights Society Licence (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) and PPL for any event featuring live or recorded music.

  • You may need to register as a small society lottery (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) for raffles where tickets are sold prior to the event.

  • Single Title Screening Licence (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) to screen films as well as promote the screening outside the venue.

Health and safety

  • Consider health and safety both at the planning stage and at the event itself.

  • A simple risk assessment should be carried out for each event and for each activity within the event.

  • Seek additional guidance from your local authority or the Health and Safety Executive.

Shout about it!

  • It never hurts to plan early and promote your event to the full.

  • Use all available means - newsletters, noticeboards, websites. Laminated posters at pick up and drop-off points are a real winner.

  • To attract more support, approach your local paper for free coverage. Remember that the quirkier or more interesting your story, the more likely it is to get published!

Managing money at events

  • Safe collection and storage of cash at your event is essential.

  • If you expect to be taking large sums of money - at your annual summer fair for example, appoint dedicated volunteers who are responsible for managing floats, collecting and counting cash and safe storage throughout the event.

The above is intended as guidance only. We recommend that you contact the relevant organisations with specific reference to insurance, legal, health and safety and child protection requirements. Community Inspired Ltd cannot be held responsible for any decisions or actions taken by a organisation, based on the guidance provided.

Share this page